Hybridization

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Armani Dodson 1A

Hybridization

Postby Armani Dodson 1A » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:38 pm

In the quiz preparations, it asks a lot about hybridizations. I looked up answers for the definition of it, but I'm still confused. Does anyone know a simple/easy definition to understand?

Logan 3C

Re: Hybridization

Postby Logan 3C » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:29 pm

We haven't covered hybridization yet in class so I think it is very unlikely that it will be on the quiz next week. Kahn academy has some helpful videos on this topic though if you do want help learning this concept.
[url][/url]https://www.khanacademy.org/science/organic-chemistry/gen-chem-review/hybrid-orbitals-jay/v/sp3-hybridized-orbitals-and-sigma-bonds

Erik Khong 2E

Postby Erik Khong 2E » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:32 pm

Hybridization involves the promotion of electrons and making multiple orbitals from different subshells "equal" in energy (such as 2s and 2p), so that electrons can follow the Hund's rule in their newly-created hybridized-subshell to form more bonds.

Basically, hybridization involves promoting one of the electrons in a lower orbital (one of the two electrons is 2s, but never a central orbital like 1s) to an empty orbital (such as 2pz -- 2px and 2py already have one electrons each). Although this promotion of an electron requires energy, the energy released by the formation of two more bonds compensates for it. This is what makes, for example, CH4 a possible molecule.

Beza Ayalew 1I

Postby Beza Ayalew 1I » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is hybridization why you can have lewis structures where the central atom doesn't follow the octet rule after the third row?

Return to “Sigma & Pi Bonds”