When looking at at molecule how can I determine when they will form sigma and pi bonds?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Adriana Rangel 1A

When looking at at molecule how can I determine when they will form sigma and pi bonds?

Postby Adriana Rangel 1A » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:07 pm

I understand what sigma and pi bonds are, but there is an example in the text asking how many sigma and pi bonds there are in a) CO2 and b) CO?
I do not understand how I can determine the number of sigma and pi bonds there are in these molecules.

Qining Jin 1F

Re: When looking at at molecule how can I determine when they will form sigma and pi bonds?

Postby Qining Jin 1F » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:36 pm

I think all you have to do is determine how many single/double/triple bonds there are. Because there are two double bonds in CO2, there are two sigma and two pi bonds since each double bond has one sigma and one pi bond

Harrison Wang 1H

Re: When looking at at molecule how can I determine when they will form sigma and pi bonds?

Postby Harrison Wang 1H » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:07 pm

The first bond that atoms form is always a sigma bond, any bond after that is a pi bond, so CO has 1 sigma bond and 2 pi bonds

Jessica_Singh_1J

Postby Jessica_Singh_1J » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:22 pm

Once you determine the Lewis structure of the molecule, all you have to do is determine the amount of single, double, and triple bonds. Remember: a single bond consists of 1 sigma bond; a double bond consists of 1 sigma bond and 1 pi bond; a triple bond consists of 1 sigma bond and 2 pi bonds. CO2 has two double bonds, meaning it has 2 sigma and 2 pi bonds; likewise CO has one triple bond, meaning it has 1 sigma and 2 pi bonds.

Return to “Sigma & Pi Bonds”