Sigma and Pi bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hannah Pham 1D

Sigma and Pi bonds

Postby Hannah Pham 1D » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:17 pm

How do we figure out if i bond is a sigma bond or a pi bond?

klarratt2

Re: Sigma and Pi bonds

Postby klarratt2 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:21 pm

A single bond is a sigma bond. A double bond is a sigma bond plus a pi bond. A triple bond is one sigma and two pi bonds.

A sigma bond is a basic covalent bond, with the bond in line with the bonding orbitals. You can only ever have one sigma bond between any two atoms.

A pi bond is a covalent bond between orbitals perpendicular to the bond direction, usually p-orbitals (never s). The resulting bond is roughly shaped like two croissants with the tips touching at the bonded atoms. Pi bonds do not allow rotation around the bonding axis due to this geometry.

A second pi bond (the third bond in a triple bond, or a second double bond to another atom) is always perpendicular (orthogonal) to the first one. In other words, if the sigma bond is on the x axis, one pi bond will form between orbitals on the y axis and another will form between orbitals on the z axis.

Aurbal Popal

Postby Aurbal Popal » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:29 pm

A single bond has a sigma bond.
A double bond has both a sigma bond and a pi bond.
A triple bond has one sigma bond and two pi bonds.

Sigma bonds can happen between s and s orbitals, p and s orbitals, or s and p orbitals. The orbitals overlap end to end.
Pi bonds usually just happen between p orbitals. The orbitals overlap side to side.

Bianca Barcelo 4I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Bianca Barcelo 4I » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:10 am

What are the purposes of sigma and pi bonds? Do they just create a bigger area for electron movement?

Emily Ng_4C

Postby Emily Ng_4C » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Bianca Barcelo 1G wrote:What are the purposes of sigma and pi bonds? Do they just create a bigger area for electron movement?

I believe sigma and pi bonds give you a more specific visual representation of how two atoms/molecules bond. For instance, sigma bond is where they bond at one point, and a pi bond is where they bond at multiple points.

Return to “Sigma & Pi Bonds”