resonance

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

duenezjuleny

resonance

Postby duenezjuleny » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:54 pm

how exactly do you determine if a molecule has resonance?

Joonsoo Kim 4L

Re: resonance

Postby Joonsoo Kim 4L » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:36 pm

The way that I identify resonance is when I draw the lewis structure, a molecule with resonance will have more than 1 bond consisting of 2 or more atoms of the same element that are attached to the same central atom, except not all of those bonds are single bonds. For example, if the lewis structure looks something like A-B=A, the "B=A" double bond is not actually a double bond and instead, both "B-A" bonds are actually 1.5 bonds. Probably not the most efficient way of determining resonance, but it has worked for me.

Jewelyana3A

Postby Jewelyana3A » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:50 pm

I agree with the comment above. Resonance is simply a way to display that there are two or more possible methods to illustrating the structure of the molecule. The overall Lewis Structure is the same, but the electron locations do change. Just remember that resonance structures should have the same number of electrons, they must follow the rules of normal Lewis Structures, the hybridization must stay the same, the skeleton structure should not change, and they must also have the same amount of lone pairs.

maldonadojs

Postby maldonadojs » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Resonance is, in the most basic way, a way to say that there are more than one way to draw a lewis structure. For instance, if the compound were to have more than on oxygen and one of the many had a double bond, you could draw the lewis structure with the double bond on a different oxygen each drawing. This is because there is no definite answer as to which oxygen has the double bond and, due to the molecule being delocalized, the bond lengths are all of the same. Because of this, the bond length would not be that of a single bond, or even that of a double bond, but one in the middle of these two all around the molecule.

Return to “Sigma & Pi Bonds”