Why are sigma bonds stronger than pi bonds?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ananta3G

Why are sigma bonds stronger than pi bonds?

Postby Ananta3G » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:31 am

I was a bit confused about why sigma bonds are generally stronger than pi bonds. Thanks!

AArmellini_1I

Re: Why are sigma bonds stronger than pi bonds?

Postby AArmellini_1I » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:02 pm

Because in a sigma bond the orbitals can overlap to a greater extent where as with pie bonds they are overlapping indirectly which means they can't overlap as much as sigma bond. The more they over lap, the stronger the pull

KBELTRAMI_1E

Postby KBELTRAMI_1E » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:18 pm

AArmellini_1I wrote:Because in a sigma bond the orbitals can overlap to a greater extent where as with pie bonds they are overlapping indirectly which means they can't overlap as much as sigma bond. The more they over lap, the stronger the pull

what do you mean by "overlap"?

sarahforman_Dis2I

Postby sarahforman_Dis2I » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:48 pm

KBELTRAMI_4I wrote:
AArmellini_1I wrote:Because in a sigma bond the orbitals can overlap to a greater extent where as with pie bonds they are overlapping indirectly which means they can't overlap as much as sigma bond. The more they over lap, the stronger the pull

what do you mean by "overlap"?

Sigma bonds overlap end to end whereas pi bonds overlap side to side. This means that when pi bonds form, there will be electron density on both sides of the internuclear axis.

Eunice Nguyen 4I

Postby Eunice Nguyen 4I » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:27 pm

To add onto the previous comments, the greater the extent of overlapping, the higher the probability of finding the valence electrons in between the nuclei and hence the bond will be stronger and shorter.

Chetas Holagunda 3H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Chetas Holagunda 3H » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:21 pm

In Sigma bonds, the orbitals overlap from end to end, causing it to have a direct and stronger bond while Pi bonds overlap from side to side, causing them to be weaker and not allow the elements bonded to rotate.

derinceltik1K

Postby derinceltik1K » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:57 pm

There is more, almost direct, orbital contact in Sigma Bonds. Sigma bonds are formed by head-on overlap, whereas Pi bonds form through side ways.

Return to “Sigma & Pi Bonds”