Orbital overlap

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nikita Patra 3J

Orbital overlap

Postby Nikita Patra 3J » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:49 pm

What is a head-on overlap of orbitals? How is different from just saying an overlap of orbitals?

Ramneet Sandhu 3D

Re: Orbital overlap

Postby Ramneet Sandhu 3D » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:07 pm

A head-on overlap is formed by sigma bonds. Pi bonds are able to form side-to-side overlaps.

AArmellini_1I

Postby AArmellini_1I » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:09 pm

Ramneet Sandhu 3D wrote:A head-on overlap is formed by sigma bonds. Pi bonds are able to form side-to-side overlaps.

Which is why sigma bonds are stronger than pie bonds

Frederick Keith_4C

Postby Frederick Keith_4C » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:11 pm

A sigma bond is a covalent bond which is formed by the head on overlap of two atomic orbitals. A pi bond is a covalent bond which is formed by the side to side overlap of two atomic orbitals. You can't just say an overlap of orbitals because sigma and pi bonds overlap in different ways, unless you're talking about overlap in a single bond because thats a sigma bond and thus it'll have head on overlap. But in the case of double and triple bonds, you should specify the type of overlap you're talking about as there are sigma and pi bonds there.

Frederick Keith_4C

Postby Frederick Keith_4C » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:13 pm

AArmellini_1I wrote:
Ramneet Sandhu 3D wrote:A head-on overlap is formed by sigma bonds. Pi bonds are able to form side-to-side overlaps.

Which is why sigma bonds are stronger than pie bonds

Sigma bonds are stronger than pi bonds because the atomic orbitals forming the sigma bond overlap greater than in the pi bonds. Thus, greater overlap means more electrons are likely to be present. This is why they are considered stronger than pi bonds.

Return to “Sigma & Pi Bonds”