Sigma and Pi bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lily Mohtashami

Sigma and Pi bonds

Postby Lily Mohtashami » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:09 pm

Can someone explain what a sigma bond is and what a Pi bond is? Also does anyone know which lecture we learned this in because I don't remember learning about it?

Benjamin Chen 1H
Been upvoted: 7 times

Re: Sigma and Pi bonds

Postby Benjamin Chen 1H » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:15 pm

Sigma bonds are head-on electron orbital overlaps while pi bonds are side-by-side electron orbital overlaps.

We haven't covered this yet. This has to do with VSEPR theory.

KatarinaReid_3H
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby KatarinaReid_3H » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:16 pm

I am not sure that he went into much detail about them last week. A single bond is a sigma bond. Double bond has one sigma, one pi. Triple has one sigma, 2 pi bonds. A sigma bond is stronger than a pi bond. Sigma bonds are overlapping of electrons on the end of each atom; it is a linear overlapping. A pi bond is the actual lobes overlapping; electrons are on top and bottom of the axis. Thus, that is why pi bonds usually occur where there are p-orbitals and sp hybridization.

SahajDole_1C

Postby SahajDole_1C » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:18 pm

Sigma and pi bonds are the bonds on the atom . Sigma is one and pi is a double bond. We have not covered this topic yet.

Taber Ball 1F

Postby Taber Ball 1F » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:34 am

Hi! I don't recall this topic being mentioned in the lectures. Just confirming - we will not need to know this for the midterm next week? Thank you!

Taber Ball 1F

Postby Taber Ball 1F » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:35 am

KatarinaReid_1B wrote:I am not sure that he went into much detail about them last week. A single bond is a sigma bond. Double bond has one sigma, one pi. Triple has one sigma, 2 pi bonds. A sigma bond is stronger than a pi bond. Sigma bonds are overlapping of electrons on the end of each atom; it is a linear overlapping. A pi bond is the actual lobes overlapping; electrons are on top and bottom of the axis. Thus, that is why pi bonds usually occur where there are p-orbitals and sp hybridization.

Thank you so much for this awesome explanation! It was so helpful (:

Marisa Gaitan 2D
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Marisa Gaitan 2D » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:23 pm

Taber Ball 1F wrote:Hi! I don't recall this topic being mentioned in the lectures. Just confirming - we will not need to know this for the midterm next week? Thank you!

I don't think Lavelle covered this in lectures yet either, so we won't have to know it. The midterm covers everything from the last eight bullets on outline 2 through the concepts in today's (11/11) lecture which I believe finishes outline 3.

Taber Ball 1F

Postby Taber Ball 1F » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:30 pm

marisagaitan1G wrote:
Taber Ball 1F wrote:Hi! I don't recall this topic being mentioned in the lectures. Just confirming - we will not need to know this for the midterm next week? Thank you!

I don't think Lavelle covered this in lectures yet either, so we won't have to know it. The midterm covers everything from the last eight bullets on outline 2 through the concepts in today's (11/11) lecture which I believe finishes outline 3.

Ok! Thank you so much! Just wanted to make sure (:

Have a great day!

Lillian

Postby Lillian » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:38 pm

Do we need to know the details of the difference between sigma, pi, and delta bonds?
Or just this?:
single bond = 1 sigma
double bond = 1 sigma 1 pi
triple bond = 1 sigma 2 pi
quadruple bond = 1 sigma 2 pi 1 delta

Gabe_Ek 1G

Postby Gabe_Ek 1G » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:43 pm

KatarinaReid_1B wrote:I am not sure that he went into much detail about them last week. A single bond is a sigma bond. Double bond has one sigma, one pi. Triple has one sigma, 2 pi bonds. A sigma bond is stronger than a pi bond. Sigma bonds are overlapping of electrons on the end of each atom; it is a linear overlapping. A pi bond is the actual lobes overlapping; electrons are on top and bottom of the axis. Thus, that is why pi bonds usually occur where there are p-orbitals and sp hybridization.

This explanation helped me understand the sigma and pi bonds a bit better, thank you! But yea I also don't think Lavelle had covered this material yet.

Return to “Sigma & Pi Bonds”