sigma and pi bonds for benzene molecule

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aishwarya Kosgi 1F

sigma and pi bonds for benzene molecule

Postby Aishwarya Kosgi 1F » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:28 pm

Hi! I had a question about the number of sigma and pi bonds in a benzene molecule (C6H6). Since the molecule has a ring of carbons in a hexagon shape with 3 double bonds, would this mean there are 6 sigma bonds and 3 pi bonds in the carbon ring? I wasn't sure how this would work since technically all the bonds are the same length and the double bonds are resonance structures. The actual length of the bond is somewhere between a single and double bond, but would we still classify it as 6 sigma bonds and 3 pi bonds? Thanks!

Alvin Lai 3J

Re: sigma and pi bonds for benzene molecule

Postby Alvin Lai 3J » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:48 pm

I believe it would be 12 sigma bonds and 3 pi bonds because each carbon is also bonded to a hydrogen. Hope this helps!

Lesly Lopez 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Lesly Lopez 3A » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:23 pm

Hi,

I was also thinking about this but I think Alvin is right. There are definitely 3 pi bonds but instead of 6 sigma bonds you have to take into considerations the extra bonding the carbons have with the hydrogen atoms. Therefore the total number of sigma bonds would be 12.

Morgan Gee 3B

Postby Morgan Gee 3B » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:13 pm

Benzene has a total of 9 single bonds and 3 double bonds. There are 6 hydrogens bonded to each carbon (6 single bonds) and 3 single bonds between carbons (3 more single bonds) for a total of 9 single bonds. There are also 3 double bonds between carbons for a total of 3 double bonds. This means that there are 12 sigma bonds and 3 pi bonds in benzene.

Return to “Sigma & Pi Bonds”