Explanation to Octet Rule Exceptions  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rohita Thammineni 2D

Explanation to Octet Rule Exceptions

Postby Rohita Thammineni 2D » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:46 pm

Hi! Can someone explain why H, He, Li, and Be are exceptions to the octet rule? Is it simply because they are too small to hold that many electrons? In that case, why do the exceptions stop at Beryllium specifically? Thanks!

Sanjana Sivakumar 2E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Explanation to Octet Rule Exceptions

Postby Sanjana Sivakumar 2E » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:19 pm

Hello!

H, He, Li, and Be are exceptions because they all hold less than 8 electrons. More specifically, when H and He have full shells, they contain only 2 electrons. Also, since Li and Be are metals, they will most likely become cations (since usually metals become cations by losing an electrons). And when that happens, I think they then have a noble gas configuration (or something along the lines of that) so it will also have 2 electrons. I believe that there are more exceptions, but these are the main ones.

Hope this helps!

Hannah Jin 1J

Postby Hannah Jin 1J » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:36 pm

H, He, Li, and B are exceptions because they don't have enough electrons, so 8 valence electrons would not make it more stable. Rather, these all hold 2 valence electrons to be satisfied. From my understanding, boron and aluminum are also exceptions to the octet rule (though different from the other 4 elements in terms of how many electrons they hold), but we did not cover it in the lecture (yet).

Hayden Jackson

Postby Hayden Jackson » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:46 pm

You are correct they are just simply to small to achieve the octet which is why they are exceptions. There are some more exceptions when you get into bonding as certain atoms are able to go above 8 valence electrons to form covalent bonds.

gracebinder3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Explanation to Octet Rule Exceptions  [ENDORSED]

Postby gracebinder3I » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:55 pm

Hi!
H and He are exceptions because the first shell (1s) only contains two electrons. Thus, one (1s1) or two (1s2) electrons in the first orbital completes the shell more than if there were 8 electrons in the first shell. It would make He and H more unstable if they abided by the octet rule. Li and Be are exceptions for the same reason but with the second shell (2s). The exceptions stop with beryllium because after then, the p-orbitals begin as to allow the octet rule to begin.
I hope this helps!

Alyssa Cua 2J

Postby Alyssa Cua 2J » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:00 pm

gracebinder1J wrote:Hi!
H and He are exceptions because the first shell (1s) only contains two electrons. Thus, one (1s1) or two (1s2) electrons in the first orbital completes the shell more than if there were 8 electrons in the first shell. It would make He and H more unstable if they abided by the octet rule. Li and Be are exceptions for the same reason but with the second shell (2s). The exceptions stop with beryllium because after then, the p-orbitals begin as to allow the octet rule to begin.
I hope this helps!

Really good explanation! Thank you!

Naman Jain 3F

Postby Naman Jain 3F » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:21 pm

Second-row elements are always assumed to follow the octet rule, as their valence orbitals (2s and 2p) can only hold 8 electrons. Elements that exceed the octet rule are only for Period 3 (row 3) and beyond.

Gavin Trent 2F

Postby Gavin Trent 2F » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:25 pm

The first 4 elements (H, He, Li, Be) are exceptions to the octet rule because they have very few valence electrons, and are therefore highly unlikely to form an octet by gaining or losing electrons.

Santiago Chang 2K

Postby Santiago Chang 2K » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:54 pm

Hi!
H and He try to fill a 1s orbital, while Li and Be try to fill their 2s orbital. s-orbitals hold 2 electrons, rather than the 8 that is formed from an s- and a p- orbital together, and that is why they are an exception to the octet rule. I hope this helps!

Return to “Lewis Structures”