Chapter 3 #57  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michael Lonsway 3O

Chapter 3 #57

Postby Michael Lonsway 3O » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:32 pm

The problem states: Write the Lewis structure, including typical contributions to the resonance structure (where appropriate, allow for the possibility of octet exmpansion, including double bonds in different positions), for a) sulfite ion, b) hydrogen sulfite ion; perchlorate ion, d)nitrite ion.

I'm not sure how to tell which atoms would be the central atom for each problem. I understand how many electrons to put but how do I know the correct formation to draw?

E_Villavicencio 2N

Re: Chapter 3 #57  [ENDORSED]

Postby E_Villavicencio 2N » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:49 pm

The least electronegative atom goes in the center. Check how the trends in the periodic table go regarding to electronegativity, and then you put the least electronegative in the center of the Lewis Structure. The exception is Hydrogen, that one never goes in the center. Hope it helps!

Patrick Ricaflanca 2H

Re: Chapter 3 #57

Postby Patrick Ricaflanca 2H » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:27 pm

The central atom should be the one with the least electronegativity. From left to right on the periodic table, electronegativity increases. From top to bottom, electronegativity decreases.
So for a) sulfite ion, the sulfur ion would be in the middle and connected to 3 oxygens. Even though they are in the same column, the sulfur atom has a lower electronegativity because it is in a row below the oxygen.

Return to “Lewis Structures”