Lewis Structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JosephLew3C

Lewis Structures

Postby JosephLew3C » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:24 pm

When making a Lewis structure should I assume it is correct if I used the correct number of electrons or should I check formal charge to make sure I have the correct bonds?

Audrey Magsig 1E

Re: Lewis Structures

Postby Audrey Magsig 1E » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:33 pm

I would check the formal charge. I checked formal charge in the practice quiz and got a different lewis structure. Since it doesn't have the answers with it, I can't be completely positive, but you may get different structures.

edhuang

Postby edhuang » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:06 pm

You first obviously need to check for the correct number of electrons. This is a must for Lewis structures. However, you will almost always need to check formal charge for the best possible structure. For example, many times the central atom will have just 4 single bonds, but the central atom may be sulfur, in which the formal charge would be +2. Two double bonds and two single bonds connected sulfur would lower the formal charge then to 0. They would be different structures, but one with more atoms with a formal charge of 0.

Hector_Gutierrez 1J

Postby Hector_Gutierrez 1J » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:14 pm

Joseph Lew 1K wrote:When making a Lewis structure should I assume it is correct if I used the correct number of electrons or should I check formal charge to make sure I have the correct bonds?

You should check the formal charge to ensure that the molecule is at its most ideal state.

Return to “Lewis Structures”