Quiz 2 Prep Question #7

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Molika Soben_3J

Quiz 2 Prep Question #7

Postby Molika Soben_3J » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:58 pm

For question #7 on the quiz 2 prep, I don't understand why the Lewis structure of XeO2F2 would be allowed for Xe as a central atom but not for Ne as a central atom. What exactly is it asking?

The problem states:
Draw the Lewis structure for XeO2F2. Explain why this structure would be allowed for Xe as a central atom but not for Ne as a central atom.

I know how to draw the Lewis structure for it but I'm not sure what the second part is asking.

Anjum Farook 2O

Re: Quiz 2 Prep Question #7

Postby Anjum Farook 2O » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:25 am

It basically wants you to identify/recognize that the structure of XeO2F2 is an exception to the octet rule because Xe expands its octet/has more than eight electrons in it's valence shell in this structure. Neon, on the other hand, is a member of period 2, so even if it were to be a central atom, it would not be able to accommodate more than eight electrons because it has no d orbitals in it's valence shell (n=2)

Aleena_Sorf_2A

Re: Quiz 2 Prep Question #7

Postby Aleena_Sorf_2A » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:32 pm

The Lewis structure of XeO2F2 is not allowed with Ne as a central atom because the central atom with an expanded octet must have an atomic number that is greater than 10.

Return to “Lewis Structures”