Page 1 of 1

Radicals

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:16 pm
by Sophia Bozone 2G
Can you assume a molecule will be radical if its atoms have an odd number of valence elctorns between themselves?

Re: Radicals

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:34 pm
by Rachel Formaker 1E
As a general rule, yes, an odd number of valence electrons in a molecule means the molecule will be a radical.

Re: Radicals

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:35 pm
by Veronica Rasmusen 2B
Most often, yes. With an odd number of electrons, there will be one electron ending up without a pair.

Re: Radicals

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:47 pm
by Sophia Bozone 2G
Veronica Rasmusen 1E wrote:Most often, yes. With an odd number of electrons, there will be one electron ending up without a pair.

Thank you of this illuminating knowledge benevolent sir :-*

Re: Radicals

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:52 pm
by Veronica Rasmusen 2B
Sophia Bozone 3 3B wrote:
Veronica Rasmusen 1E wrote:Most often, yes. With an odd number of electrons, there will be one electron ending up without a pair.

Thank you of this illuminating knowledge benevolent sir :-*


Why welcome fair kind maiden, hath 14a been treating thee kindly?

Re: Radicals

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:57 pm
by Sophia Bozone 2G
Veronica Rasmusen 1E wrote:
Sophia Bozone 3 3B wrote:
Veronica Rasmusen 1E wrote:Most often, yes. With an odd number of electrons, there will be one electron ending up without a pair.

Thank you of this illuminating knowledge benevolent sir :-*


Why welcome fair kind maiden, hath 14a been treating thee kindly?


14a hath been a journey of the soul, down to my innermost electron (teehee). It is the deepest desire of the depths of my heart that 14a sings sweet, cozy, lyrics as you drift down the path of enlightenment.

Re: Radicals

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:29 am
by alyssawhite1L
How do you know which atom in a molecule will have the radical, for example like in ClO

Re: Radicals

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:34 pm
by Chem_Mod
Give an octet to the atoms with higher electronegativity and less than an octet (radical) on an atom with lower electronegativity.