Organic Lewis Structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kyung_Jin_Kim_1H

Organic Lewis Structures

Postby Kyung_Jin_Kim_1H » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:48 pm

I've noticed that a lot of compounds with carbon are written in a different format than I normally expect it to be (ex. HOCO rather than HCO2, CH3CH3 rather than C2H6). When compounds are given in such a fashion, is that always an indicator to the general structure of the compound? Is is a coincidence that the structure aligned with the format of the compound's name? If so, does this apply to non-organic compounds as well?

Vincent Chiang 1L

Re: Organic Lewis Structures

Postby Vincent Chiang 1L » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:06 am

When I asked my TA, he said that it was intentional that Lavelle labeled the molecule as HOCO as a hint? Generally, it could be written as CHO2.

Rachel Formaker 1E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Organic Lewis Structures

Postby Rachel Formaker 1E » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Generally, with chemical formulas, atoms written next to each other are bonded to each other. So in HOCO, writing the formula this way tells you that the two oxygen atoms are bonded to the carbon, and the hydrogen is bonded to an oxygen.

This can be especially helpful in hinting at the common groups that attached to more complicated molecules, like the methyl (-CH3) and carboxylic acid (-COOH) groups .

This method of writing formulas is generally used with organic molecules because they can have such varied structures.

Return to “Lewis Structures”