Biradicals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ashley Martinez 1G

Biradicals

Postby Ashley Martinez 1G » Sun May 20, 2018 9:55 pm

I read section 3.9 in the textbook but am still having trouble understanding biradicals. Why are the two unpaired electrons normally on different atoms? Why can't these unpaired electrons be on the same atom and have a non-parallel placement? Is there a method for recognizing biradicals? I'm just not sure how much of a grasp we're supposed to have on biradicals. Any clarification will help, thanks!

RubyLake1F

Re: Biradicals

Postby RubyLake1F » Sun May 20, 2018 10:02 pm

I also don't understand biradicals very well, but I am pretty sure that since we did not cover this at all in class that it is not something we would need to know for the test (we would only need to know regular radicals). I think sometimes the textbook goes into a little more detail than is necessary for our tests- but definitely check with your TA before trusting me completely on this!
Also for the first part of your question I would assume that two unpaired electrons in a biradical wouldn't be on the same atom because if they were then they would pair up and become a lone pair (making the electrons no longer radicals).

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 734 times

Re: Biradicals

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon May 21, 2018 11:47 pm

You have a radical species when you have a single lone electron (unpaired electron). Biradicals are species which have two atoms where each has that single lone electron that is not paired.

Return to “Lewis Structures”