Lewis Structure Drawing

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Maya_Peterson1C

Lewis Structure Drawing

Postby Maya_Peterson1C » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:39 pm

In high school I remember being allowed to draw straight lines whenever there were two valence electrons on a Lewis structure diagram, as a kind of shorthand method instead of drawing all dots. However, in lecture we learned to use straight lines only for shared electrons. Is the other way incorrect?

Michelle Wang 4I

Re: Lewis Structure Drawing

Postby Michelle Wang 4I » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:59 pm

It might have been acceptable in your high school class, but since in Lavelle's lecture he said that the lines were only for bonds then representing the electrons with lines is incorrect. Drawing each dot is somewhat tedious but do it anyways so that you won't be marked off on the midterm/tests!

KatrinaPho_2I

Postby KatrinaPho_2I » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:07 pm

In my high school chem courses, lone pair electrons were always drawn as two separate dots while shared electrons were drawn as a line. While it may take a bit longer to draw, making this distinction helps you visualize and differentiate the electrons.

juleschang16

Postby juleschang16 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:48 pm

I believe that the line is only used to signify shared electrons and the point of writing the dots is to show that they are not bonded to anything. So, I would say follow what Lavelle taught and only use the lines for shared electron bonds.

Dong Hyun Lee 4E

Postby Dong Hyun Lee 4E » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:17 pm

To be safe lines should probably be only used as bonds and dots if the electrons are not being shared. Only use shortcut methods when the professor verbally says it will be ok to do so.

Chloe Likwong 2K

Postby Chloe Likwong 2K » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:30 pm

Try to do what Lavelle teaches us. As of now, he used lines to symbolize bonds not lone electrons; dots signify electrons.

kimberlyrose1G

Postby kimberlyrose1G » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:24 pm

It might have been correct in your high school course, but Prof. Lavelle suggested using it only for shared bonds, so mixing the two might make it difficult for completing problems, and according to Lavelle, is incorrect for his course.

Return to “Lewis Structures”