Valence Electrons

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

katietietsworth_3c

Valence Electrons

Postby katietietsworth_3c » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:38 am

Hi, I am confused on how to figure out how many valence electrons each element has. How can I determine this?

Danielle_Gallandt3I

Re: Valence Electrons

Postby Danielle_Gallandt3I » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Ok so each row on the periodic table actually tends to correspond to a particular shell of an atom. So the first row corresponds to the first shell (with only an s-orbital) so there are only 2 e- within that shell. So you know that H has 1 valence e- and He has 2 e- because those are the number of e- they have in their only shell. In the second row all elements have 3 e- or more, so you know that they have e- in the 2nd shell. They have 2 e- in the first shell, and the rest of the e- they have are in their valence shell. For example, O has 8e-, so the first 2e- are in the first shell, and the other 6e- are in the second shell, so O has 6 valence e-. So to find the number of e- in a valence shell for an element in row 2, subtract 2 e- from their total e- count. For an atom in row 3, subtract 10 e- (2e- from first shell, 8 e- from second shell) from their total number of e- to find their valence e- in the third shell .

Javier_Ochoa_DIS_3J

Postby Javier_Ochoa_DIS_3J » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:40 pm

A quick and easy way to find out how many valance electrons an element has is to count left to right across periods for the S orbital and the P orbital. For example H would have 1 valance electron, Be would have 2, B would have 3, and C would have 4. This would make the noble gases have 8 valence electrons and this would make them the most stable.
Attachments
440px-Simple_Periodic_Table_Chart-en.svg.png

Kristy 1F

Postby Kristy 1F » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:24 pm

You can simply figure this out by checking their electric configurations, the number of the electrons in the last s or p orbital would tell you.

Return to “Lewis Structures”