checking your answer

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

inlovewithchemistry

checking your answer

Postby inlovewithchemistry » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:35 am

I've found that when I draw out structures, even if I have all of the valence electrons represented and correct, I will still get the structure wrong. I know this is because I need to make my structure have a formal charge close to 0. But, how can I be sure that it is the most stable it can be? How do I know whether or not the central atom can have an expanded outer shell (and should I always just assume this and draw double bonds if it increases stability)?
I think my general confusion comes from how to interpret the formal charges found for each atom.
Thanks!

Dina Geotas 4A

Re: checking your answer

Postby Dina Geotas 4A » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:14 pm

You can find the formal charge by using the formula:
Formal Charge = valence electrons- (number of electrons in lone pairs + 0.5(bonding electrons))

Ryan Troutman 4L

Re: checking your answer

Postby Ryan Troutman 4L » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:17 pm

The best way for the answer to be most correct is if all formal charges are equal to 0 unless it is a cation or anion which it would then either need a +1 charge or -1 charge. Since we haven't learned how to draw structures or calculate angles, I don't think the general shape matters so much as long as the central atom is correct and all charges are accounted for in. In lecture, Dr. Lavelle stated that elements that have a D orbital state (so any element in 3d or higher) can have more attached to it. Hope this helps :)

Return to “Lewis Structures”