Memorizing chemical formulas from their names?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

skyeblee2F

Memorizing chemical formulas from their names?

Postby skyeblee2F » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:45 pm

One of the questions asks to draw the Lewis structure of a molecule but it gives the name and not the formula (i.e. ammonium chloride). Generally, will we need to know many formulas from their names? If so, which ones?

Irene Zhou 1E

Re: Memorizing chemical formulas from their names?

Postby Irene Zhou 1E » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:07 pm

I think it is a good idea to know some of the more common polyatomic ions such as ammonia, hydroxide, and sulfate. If it is more complicated, it might be given.

Jewelyana3A

Postby Jewelyana3A » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:20 pm

I think that I discussed this with my TA. I was told that we should know a few of the more common chemical formulas. Nitrate. Chloride. Etc. It may be assumed on the test that we already know how to write them. One other thing to note is remember what is involved when writing a chemical equation that involves combustion. (That oxygen is needed as a reactant.) I think that there are just a few things that they assume we have remembered from our high school chemistry class.

Brian Kwak 1D

Postby Brian Kwak 1D » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:27 pm

From what my TA said there will be a few common ions that we will have to remember. Didn’t really specify which ones so I understand your pain. Just to be safe though I am remembering all the common ions that Lavelle posted on his site. But I think as long as you know the suffix and prefixes for ions and what it means it might be easier to learn that than to remember common ion names.

Return to “Lewis Structures”