Problem 2.37c Lewis Structure for H2C(NH2)COOH

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Janet Ngo 4H

Problem 2.37c Lewis Structure for H2C(NH2)COOH

Postby Janet Ngo 4H » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:23 pm

So I drew the Lewis Structure for H2C(NH2)COOH.
Are there more than one way to draw this structure?
Is my Lewis Structure correct or does it have to be more symmetric?
Attachments
1.jpg

Amy Luong 1L

Re: Problem 2.37c Lewis Structure for H2C(NH2)COOH

Postby Amy Luong 1L » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:25 pm

I had a similar question and Lewis structure to the one above^ How would we know whether to place the H on the outer structure as opposed to N or O. (Similarly with #43) Is it based on ionization?

Madelyn Gehrich 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Problem 2.37c Lewis Structure for H2C(NH2)COOH

Postby Madelyn Gehrich 1E » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:17 am

The best way to understand this Lewis structure is in terms of the central atoms. Carbon has the lowest ionization energy, so it will be the central atoms in the molecule. We know that Hydrogens will generally be terminal atoms, so after we put the carbon at the center we can attach the NH2 with the N bonded to the Carbon and the Hydrogens bonded to the Nitrogen. In regards to the COOH, we know that H will be the terminal atom again so it is on the outside and must be horizontally bonded to the Oxygen. The other Oxygen is bonded to the Carbon as well. Always keep in mind that the Hydrogens will be the terminal atoms, the Carbons will generally be in the center (but check the ionization energy for the particular molecule). This will give you a skeleton structure that you can manipulate depending on the atoms in the molecule.

Return to “Lewis Structures”