Problem 2E13 (7th edition) part d

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Katherine Fitzgerald 1A

Problem 2E13 (7th edition) part d

Postby Katherine Fitzgerald 1A » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:00 pm

Hello,

As part of question 2E13 (part d), we are asked to draw the Lewis structure for N^2O. Two answers are given. For both, N is the central atom. In the first version, there are three bond with the other N atom (which also has a lone pair), and one bond with the O atom (which has 3 lone pairs). In the second, there are two bonds each with the N and O, each of which also have 2 lone pairs.

I don't think these are considered resonance forms, since it's not simply about rotating (i.e., there are 3 bonds and 1 bond in the first vs 2 bonds each in the second). Is that correct? If so, why are both answers allowed? Is one preferred over the other?

Yilun Ding

Re: Problem 2E13 (7th edition) part d

Postby Yilun Ding » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:27 pm

Both answers are acceptable since both models have total electrons of 16, and each atoms in both models is being octet. I am not sure about which one has the priority, but in the case of formal charge, both central atom N have formal charge of +1 ,the first model has a -1 charge on oxygen and the second model has a -1 charge on nitrogen. Oxygen is slightly more electronegative than nitrogen, so oxygen may be -1. Therefore, the first model may be more stable.

Return to “Lewis Structures”