Reasoning for the octet

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aprice_1J

Reasoning for the octet

Postby Aprice_1J » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:04 pm

What is the reasoning behind making sure every atom has 8 electrons attached? Is it because we are looking at the S and P orbitals and they can hold 8 electrons between the two of them? I understand that we are trying to maximize the stability but beyond that it is unclear to me.

Matthew ILG 1L

Re: Reasoning for the octet

Postby Matthew ILG 1L » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:10 pm

The reasoning for the octet rule that I learned in high school is that atoms "want" to be like the noble gases (He, Ne, Ar, Kr, Xe, Rn) and have 8 electrons in their outer shell, because electrons are most stable with a full outer shell.

Rohan Kubba Dis 4B

Postby Rohan Kubba Dis 4B » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:12 pm

Essentially, you are right, each atom wants to be fully stable, and while there are other factors, such as electrostatic attraction, that ultimately impact bonding, the idea is that each atom wants to fill its outer electron shells to achieve the highest energy level it can. Of course, Hydrogen just wants one other electron because the first shell only contains one electron and contain two, however, for chlorine, which has 7 valence electrons, it would want to gain an eighth electron in order to achieve more stability.

Snigdha Uppu 1G

Postby Snigdha Uppu 1G » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:24 pm

Atoms are the most stable with a full valence shell, and as you stated, the s and p orbitals can hold a total of 8 electrons, so the octet being filled is the goal.

Return to “Lewis Structures”