Formal Charge for Lewis Structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

RRahimtoola1I

Formal Charge for Lewis Structures

Postby RRahimtoola1I » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:35 pm

So I went to the UA review session on Friday and they discussed using formal charge to determine the best way to draw a Lewis Structure. I've been trying to use that but it isn't working and I keep getting the wrong answer for the homework. Is there a certain time when we should or shouldn't use the formal charge?

Matthew Chan 1B

Re: Formal Charge for Lewis Structures

Postby Matthew Chan 1B » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:51 pm

My TA told me whenever drawing Lewis structures, we should always try and calculate formal charges. We should do this to make sure we're drawing the most accurate structure that we can.

JChen_2I

Postby JChen_2I » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:53 pm

We should always use formal charge but remember that the sum of the formal charges of all the atoms should equal the charge of the compound. Check that the octet rule is satisfied and keep in mind that certain elements can have expanded or incomplete octets too.

Kehlin Hayes 4C

Postby Kehlin Hayes 4C » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:10 pm

Calculating the Formal Charge is a great way to check if the molecule has the correct structure and the correct charge its supposed to have as well as taking the average of all these different structures get us the resonance which the formal charge is calculated for all the structures.

Ashley Osorio

Postby Ashley Osorio » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:35 am

Wait, when we get a bond with resonance, do we draw all the possible lewis structures AND their formal charges?? thats a lot haha

Return to “Lewis Structures”