When to draw Resonance Structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KaleenaJezycki_1I
Been upvoted: 2 times

When to draw Resonance Structures

Postby KaleenaJezycki_1I » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:56 am

For the midterm, should we always draw the resonance structures or will we be okay with drawing the most stable structure? I guess more clearly I am wondering if Dr. Lavelle will specify "draw the Lewis Structure and its resonance forms" or should we still draw the resonance structures if it only says "draw the lewis structure"?

Rida Ismail 2E

Re: When to draw Resonance Structures

Postby Rida Ismail 2E » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:16 pm

I believe that if we have to draw the lewis structure regardless of where we will have to draw resonance. But if you are talking about the formal charge when you are addressing the most stable state, then yes you always draw the most stable unless it states otherwise.

MMckinney_4H

Postby MMckinney_4H » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:46 pm

If he is going to grade us on whether or not we know how to draw resonance structures, he will ask us to draw them. There may be resonance structures of the most stable lewis structure for a given molecule, but we shouldn't have to draw them unless specified.

Oduwole 1E

Postby Oduwole 1E » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:38 pm

You should definantly draw the resonance structures if asked to do so. If not, you should be able to just draw the most stable Lewis structure for the compound.

thanh24mai

Postby thanh24mai » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:07 pm

I think to just be safe, draw the resonance structures unless he specifies to not do draw them.

selatran1h

Postby selatran1h » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:16 pm

you should always draw resonance structures unless otherwise stated just to be safe.

Lizette Noriega 1H

Postby Lizette Noriega 1H » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:18 pm

It's best to always draw resonance structures if the molecule has them. It demonstrates your understanding and it's just safe to have even if you aren't being directly asked to provide them

Keerthana Sivathasan 2E

Postby Keerthana Sivathasan 2E » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:57 pm

I'm pretty sure we will be asked to specifically draw resonance structures if he wishes we include them.

Jessica Tran_3K

Postby Jessica Tran_3K » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:58 pm

How do we know when a molecule has resonance?

MinuChoi

Postby MinuChoi » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:07 pm

How do we know when a molecule has resonance?

After optimizing formal charges on the Lewis structure, you will typically find resonance if there is an arrangement of single/double bonds (maybe triple, though we haven't seen that in class yet) that can be moved around without affecting the overall distribution of formal charges (the central atom's FC doesn't change and the outer atoms simply swap formal charges.) This usually happens with a central atom bonded to several atoms of the same elements.

Kayla Maldonado 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kayla Maldonado 1C » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Jessica Tran_3K wrote:How do we know when a molecule has resonance?

A molecule has resonance when it has a bond that can be drawn in a different place and not alter the overall formal charge of the atom or molecule itself. For example, if you have a carbon single bonded to two oxygen and single bonded to another, you can draw the double bond attaching to any one of the three oxygen, so the molecule has resonance. To display this just draw three lewis structures and in each one, the carbon is double bonding to a different oxygen. Resonance only works if the bond that can be moved around pertains to the same atom. If the carbon were double-bonded to an atom that was not oxygen then the molecule would not have resonance as moving the double bond to a different atom alter the formal charges.

MBouwman_4A

Postby MBouwman_4A » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:28 pm

If the question specifically says to asks to draw resonance structures than you should do so. Otherwise, just draw the most stable Lewis Structure.

SajaZidan_1K

Postby SajaZidan_1K » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:35 pm

The midterm did say to draw the resonance structure if appropriate, so I think in the future you would have to determine whether or not there is a resonance structure. For instance, if it doesn't matter which oxygen has the double bond and which one has the single bond it may look like you have a resonance structure on your hands.

Nicholas_Gladkov_2J

Postby Nicholas_Gladkov_2J » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:59 pm

KaleenaJezycki_4G wrote:For the midterm, should we always draw the resonance structures or will we be okay with drawing the most stable structure? I guess more clearly I am wondering if Dr. Lavelle will specify "draw the Lewis Structure and its resonance forms" or should we still draw the resonance structures if it only says "draw the lewis structure"?

Drawing resonance, most likely, is for the most stable/lowest energy structures. If this lowest energy structure has resonance, draw it, but if it doesn't say to draw the resonance, it's not necessary.

Postby 405398682 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:00 pm

I will recommend drawing all of them just in case though most stable ones should be fine.

Return to “Lewis Structures”