Priority of factors when drawing Lewis structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

nicolely2F

Priority of factors when drawing Lewis structures

Postby nicolely2F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:27 am

What is the hierarchy for the factors to draw the Lewis structure of lowest energy? E.g. if I had to order:
- Central atom with FC = 0
- Overall charge = 0
- Electronegativity
- etc.

For example, when I was drawing the lowest energy structure for N2O, I was in doubt whether it was central atom with FC = 0 that was going to determine how I was going to draw my structure.

AngieGarcia_4F

Re: Priority of factors when drawing Lewis structures

Postby AngieGarcia_4F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:30 am

I'm not sure but I know that having an octet is the most important thing when drawing lewis structures and then usually from making sure each atom has an octet you can figure out how to best balance the formal charges.

nicolely2F

Postby nicolely2F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:25 am

AngieGarcia_4F wrote:I'm not sure but I know that having an octet is the most important thing when drawing lewis structures and then usually from making sure each atom has an octet you can figure out how to best balance the formal charges.

What if there is more than one way to make all atoms have eight electrons?

AngieGarcia_4F

Postby AngieGarcia_4F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:54 am

nicolely3B wrote:
AngieGarcia_4F wrote:I'm not sure but I know that having an octet is the most important thing when drawing lewis structures and then usually from making sure each atom has an octet you can figure out how to best balance the formal charges.

Then next priority would be formal charge, and if you can't make all atoms FC 0 then you'd give the more electronegative atom a negative charge.

nicolely2F

Postby nicolely2F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:01 pm

AngieGarcia_4F wrote:
nicolely3B wrote:

Then next priority would be formal charge, and if you can't make all atoms FC 0 then you'd give the more electronegative atom a negative charge.

Ok this clarified things so much for me, thank you!

Return to “Lewis Structures”