General Rules

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

elizabethrojas1G

General Rules

Postby elizabethrojas1G » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:22 pm

So for lewis structures, I'm not really sure how to do it. If i had something like XeF4 I would have a lewis structure in an "x" or a "T" shape? Also, for a structure such as CH3CO2- how would I know that the lewis structure would sort of look like 2 different lewis structure connected rather than have the c in the middle of all the other atoms? Why are ionic bonds treated as separate lewis structures (something like (NH4)2CO3)? I'm sorry I know this question is really long but I'm a little confused

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 435 times

Re: General Rules

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:41 pm

Hey Elizabeth,

I drew some of the things out you had asked about, hopefully that clarifies things for you. If you still have questions just let me know and I can try to explain it more. In regards to the CH3CO2-, there is really only one way that allows you to have full octets and use all the atoms. You would not be able to just have a C in the middle of everything because carbon is tetravalent, meaning it usually only has four bonds attached to it. In the case of the solution, there is two single bonds and a double bond attached (= 4 bonds). Also, it has a resonance structure that would need drawn with it.

Untitled.jpg

Return to “Lewis Structures”