2B.11 part C

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Melody Haratian 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

2B.11 part C

Postby Melody Haratian 2J » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:13 am

Hi guys! For problem 2B.part (c) I was wondering how you would know the order of the atoms when drawing the Lewis structure of the molecule. There’s a lot of different atoms in this molecule, and I’m a little confused on how to order them.

Here’s the problem: “ Draw the complete Lewis structure of the following compounds: (c) glycine, H2C(NH2)COOH”

Victor Qiu 1C
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: 2B.11 part C

Postby Victor Qiu 1C » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:40 am

It follows the same principle, but there are some tips. Carbon is always on the backbone, and for -COOH, it is always like C forms a single bond with an O, and for this O, it forms another single bond with H and has 2 pairs of electrons surrounding it, and for another O, it forms a double bond with C and has 2 pairs of electrons surrounding it. C and H are always C-H.
Following these tips, you can quickly get the structure. I don’t know how to draw it here, so I will just try to describe it. There should be a back bone :N-C-C, and N forms 2 single bonds with 2 H, the middle C forms 2 single bonds with 2 H, the C at the right forms a single bond with an O and forms a double bond with another O. The O with the single bond forms a single bond with an H, and has 2 pairs of electrons surrounding it, and the O with the double bond has 2 pairs of electrons surrounding it.

Return to “Lewis Structures”