Lewis Acid vs. Lewis Base

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

IsabelMurillo3K

Lewis Acid vs. Lewis Base

Postby IsabelMurillo3K » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:34 pm

On Sapling there was a question that asked us to classify elements or molecules into the category of a Lewis base or Lewis acid. I noticed that Carbon Dioxide was labeled as a Lewis acid, and I was wondering if anyone could explain why. Thanks in advance!

Jaclyn Schwartz 1I

Re: Lewis Acid vs. Lewis Base

Postby Jaclyn Schwartz 1I » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:44 pm

CO2 has double bonds in it, so it can attract and accept electrons. This qualifies it as a Lewis Acid. I hope that helps!
If you look at the reaction between H20 and C02 can possibly help too.

Danielle Goldwirth 3F

Postby Danielle Goldwirth 3F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:44 pm

Carbon dioxide is a polar molecule that contains a carbon atom in the center that has a partial positive charge. This positive carbon atom attracts, and thus accepts, the lone electron pairs present in the two oxygen atoms with negative partial charges. For this reason, carbon dioxide is acting as a lewis acid.

Here's a link that can provide further assistance:
https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/que ... acid/67080

Taha 2D

Postby Taha 2D » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:46 pm

Carbon dioxide is a polar molecule whose positive center is on the carbon atom: This positive center is able to attract (and accept) the lone electron pairs present on the oxide ion (O2-). Thus, carbon dioxide is acting as a Lewis acid and the oxide ion is acting as a Lewis base.

Britney Tran IJ

Postby Britney Tran IJ » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:42 pm

Danielle Goldwirth 3F wrote:Carbon dioxide is a polar molecule that contains a carbon atom in the center that has a partial positive charge. This positive carbon atom attracts, and thus accepts, the lone electron pairs present in the two oxygen atoms with negative partial charges. For this reason, carbon dioxide is acting as a lewis acid.

Here's a link that can provide further assistance:
https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/que ... acid/67080

I was really confused about Lewis acids and bases, but this link helped clear some of that confusion! Thank you so much!

Ashley Lopez 3J

Postby Ashley Lopez 3J » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:15 pm

Because carbon is the central atom, it accepts electrons. Even though both O are negative, CO2 is still partially positive and the double bonds are able to break. The best way to visualize this up is to draw reactions with CO2.

Return to “Lewis Structures”