Line structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

David Chibukhchian 2G

Line structures

Postby David Chibukhchian 2G » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:55 am

Hey guys, I had a question about one of the bullet points on this unit's outline. It says, "Draw line structures of organic compounds." I was a bit confused as to what exactly this means. Are line structures different from Lewis structures? And if so, is there a particular process we have to use in order to draw them? I was thinking it might be the hexagonal structure for benzene, since that's made with lines, but I'm not entirely sure. Any input would be really helpful!

Praneetha Kakarla 3A
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Line structures

Postby Praneetha Kakarla 3A » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:38 am

Hey! Since organic compounds have a bunch of carbon atoms, line structures just remove "C" and it is assumed that there is a C atom at the end of a line and the intersection between lines. H atoms are also omitted.

I found this picture that shows the difference b/w Lewis and line structures, so hopefully this helps! The website also explains it well.
https://employees.csbsju.edu/cschaller/ ... awings.htm
Attachments
Lewis vs line.png

Pranav Daggubati 3C

Postby Pranav Daggubati 3C » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:35 pm

Line drawings are extremely simplified forms of depicting molecules. Ends and kinks of a chain are carbons by default unless denoted otherwise, and all hydrogens are omitted unless they are part of branch groups, like -OH.

David Chibukhchian 2G

Postby David Chibukhchian 2G » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:47 am

Ohh okay that definitely makes sense. I knew it had to do with the simplified form of the benzene ring that we looked at in class but I wasn't entirely sure, so I wanted to check. I'll just assume that whenever there's a line with no atom attached at a corner, then it's meant to signify a carbon atom. Also, I'll remember that hydrogen atoms are usually omitted as well. Thank you!

Return to “Lewis Structures”