Lewis Acid and Base Reactions (Sapling Week 5/6 #6)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Scot Widjaja Dis 1J

Lewis Acid and Base Reactions (Sapling Week 5/6 #6)

Postby Scot Widjaja Dis 1J » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:56 am

Hey guys, are there any strategies or shortcuts I can try to determine whether a certain molecule or ion is a lewis acid/base? I know that a lewis acid accepts an electron pair while a lewis base donates an electron pair, but after doing question 6 on Sapling on Homework Week 5/6, I struggled to determine which molecules are acids and which are bases. What strategies do you guys have when it comes to solving these problems?

Anh Trinh 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Lewis Acid and Base Reactions (Sapling Week 5/6 #6)

Postby Anh Trinh 1J » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:20 am

When I was solving for this problem, I drew out the Lewis structures for each given molecule. If the central atom is missing a lone pair to complete the octet, or it is electron-deficient, then it is a Lewis acid, because it can accept electrons. When a central atom in a molecule does not have any lone pairs and double bonds with another, it is also a Lewis acid since the molecule does not have any electrons left to donate, so it can only accept electrons.

Also, anions or molecules with lone pair electrons are Lewis bases because they can donate electrons. So I like to think that if there is a negative charge for an ion, then it is a base.

Grace_Remphrey_2J

Postby Grace_Remphrey_2J » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:52 am

For shortcuts, I typically consider the following:
Lewis Acids: cations, an atom/ion/molecule with an incomplete octet, molecules where the central atom can have more than 8 valence shell electrons, and molecules that have multiple bonds between atoms of different electronegativity.
Lewis Bases: anions or neutral molecules and has lone-pair electrons. Not typically noble gases because they are very stable.

Hope this helps!

Shalyn Kelly 3H

Postby Shalyn Kelly 3H » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:08 am

This helped me as well! Thank you. I struggled a bit with question six too, and these tips are good.

Catherine Bubser 2C

Postby Catherine Bubser 2C » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:05 pm

This was extremely helpful for me as well! Thank you.

Return to “Lewis Structures”