Week 8 Sapling Homework #13

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Melanie Krahn 1C

Week 8 Sapling Homework #13

Postby Melanie Krahn 1C » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:59 pm

A 3D representation of cyclohexane ( C6H12 ) molecule, a cyclic compound used in the manufacture of nylon and found in the distillation of petroleum, is shown.

Name the geometry around each carbon atom.

Could someone please explain to me their approach to solving this particular problem?

Adalia 3E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Week 8 Sapling Homework #13

Postby Adalia 3E » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:04 pm

I started with looking at a single carbon atom, since they all have the same bond structure, and then counting how many bonds it had connected to it. Then, I looked at the shape they made when branching off from the carbon atom.

Sarah Hernandez 1F

Postby Sarah Hernandez 1F » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:09 pm

Adalia 3E wrote:I started with looking at a single carbon atom, since they all have the same bond structure, and then counting how many bonds it had connected to it. Then, I looked at the shape they made when branching off from the carbon atom.

yeah like what Adalia said, because it asks for the geometry around each carbon you need to pick out one of the carbons and consider it the central atom, from there you can use the rotate function to count how many bonds are on the carbon and with that you can determine the shape.

David Liu 1E

Postby David Liu 1E » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:46 pm

I would just focus on each one individually, as the structures of each tend to be self-explanatory. If the overall structure affects it, I would focus on that after looking at each individual carbon

Return to “Lewis Structures”