Purpose of Resonance Hybrids

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mallory_Podosin_1H

Purpose of Resonance Hybrids

Postby Mallory_Podosin_1H » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:20 pm

I am confused on what resonance hybrids are for. Generally and specifically the Benzene Resonance hybrid...so does it only apply to benzene? And also - are there other resonance hybrids?

Kessandra Ng 1K

Re: Purpose of Resonance Hybrids

Postby Kessandra Ng 1K » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:28 pm

Resonance hybrids are just the 'sum' of resonance structures one can have for that molecule. As such, the benzene resonance hybrid would only be valid for benzene itself. Other molecules and ions that have several resonance structures can have resonance hybrids too, like the carbonate ion.

Madeline Motamedi 4I

Postby Madeline Motamedi 4I » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:49 pm

It is difficult to model what is actually going on between bonds and resonance structures are a way to show the different states that the bonds are being "summed" up as.

Alan Chang

Postby Alan Chang » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:49 pm

The resonance hybrid is whats actually going on in a resonance structure I think. Like the two resonance structures of benzene is just to show what the actual resonance hybrid is an average of.

Ivan Tadeja 4B

Postby Ivan Tadeja 4B » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:33 pm

To my understanding, the easiest way for me to understand resonance hybridization is that it gives us the set of all possibilities/configurations for a particular molecule and that the actual representation would be a combination of all those possibilities.

Return to “Resonance Structures”