Double Bonds and Single Bonds in Resonance Structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Annalyn Diaz 1J

Double Bonds and Single Bonds in Resonance Structures

Postby Annalyn Diaz 1J » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:31 pm

I remember from high school chemistry that double bonds are shorter than single bonds. If that's the case, could someone explain why the bond lengths in resonance structures are experimentally the same bond length? I didn't quite get that.

Albert Duong 4C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Double Bonds and Single Bonds in Resonance Structures

Postby Albert Duong 4C » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:45 pm

Realistically, resonance structures don't actually exist; they're just a way of showing delocalized electrons where bonding cannot be expressed with just one lewis structure. Bond lengths are all experimentally the same length (the average of all the bond lengths in the atoms actually) in order to achieve more stable bonds (which seems to be the trend in chemical bonds).

Ramsha Dis1B

Postby Ramsha Dis1B » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:43 pm

I agree with Albert, since it becomes a hybrid, the bond lengths would all average out and so maybe that's why they are all the same.

Jaedyn_Birchmier3F

Postby Jaedyn_Birchmier3F » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:14 pm

To add onto this, Lewis structures are very very simple drawings of an atom. Therefore, an atom is an average of all the different resonance structures as we can never have an exact idea where an electron is in an atom. Albert is correct when he states that experimentally bond lengths are the same in order to maintain stability.

Return to “Resonance Structures”