Dominant resonance structure

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Dakota_Campbell_1C

Dominant resonance structure

Postby Dakota_Campbell_1C » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:01 pm

I don't understand what it means by dominant. How are you supposed to tell what structure is dominant over the other one?

Jeffrey Xiao 4A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Dominant resonance structure

Postby Jeffrey Xiao 4A » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:04 pm

The dominant resonance structure is the one with formal charge closest to zero for the most stable structure.

g orloff 1J

Postby g orloff 1J » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:20 pm

the most dominant resonance structure is the one with the formal charge closest to zero and is the most stable.

Manya Bali 4E

Postby Manya Bali 4E » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:08 pm

Yes, the structure where the formal charge(s) are closest to 0 is dominant. However, when there are resonance structures (for example, NO3-), that means that for the Lewis structures, we draw different configurations of electrons (single bond, double bond, etc) among the same configuration of atoms. Although it might appear that there are 3 structures for NO3-, for example, none of them are "dominant". They all have the same formal charge, and the actual structure of the ion is a blend of all 3 of those structures. So just make sure you understand those two different concepts.

Tuong Nguyen 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Tuong Nguyen 2I » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:54 am

In some cases, multiple resonance structures can have a formal charge of 0, and if that structure has a central atom, a good way of determining which one is the most stable structure is to find the one where the central atom has a formal charge of 0.

Return to “Resonance Structures”