Multiple Resonant Structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Frederick Keith_4C

Multiple Resonant Structures

Postby Frederick Keith_4C » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:57 pm

Resonance is when some Lewis structures have multiple bonds with the same chemical connectivity but the electrons are distributed differently around the structure. So my question is what does it say about a molecule or compound if it can form multiple different resonant structures???
For example, if a molecule has 2 different structures how does it compare to a molecule that can form maybe 4 different structures?

(I accidentally posted this in the Lewis structures sub forum, so I'm re-posting here)

Kate Osborne 1H

Re: Multiple Resonant Structures

Postby Kate Osborne 1H » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:24 pm

I think that the number of resonance structures a compound can form doesn't necessarily mean much about it, I think more the fact that it has multiple resonance structures is a defining characteristic of the compound because it means the electrons are delocalized.

Chris Tai 1B

Re: Multiple Resonant Structures

Postby Chris Tai 1B » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:59 pm

Having multiple resonance structures gives us more of an explanation for experimented observations, such as the different bond lengths between atoms in a given molecule. For instance, if a single bond in the molecule is 1 A and a double bond is 2 A but the molecule has several different resonance structures with a double bond in multiple possible locations, then it may be experimentally observed that the bond lengths for the molecule are somewhere in between 1 and 2 A (like 1.4 A).

Return to “Resonance Structures”