2C.3

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ariel Davydov 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

2C.3

Postby Ariel Davydov 1C » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi,

For part C of this question, I'm a little confused as to how there is resonance with the structure for HClO3. The structure you end up with (with the lowest formal charge) doesn't have any bonds that can be switched without changing the number of double/single bonds in the molecule, yet the answer key provides three structures with different formal charges on the elements in each molecule. Can someone explain how this is possible and if we will be tested on this?

I've attached a picture of the answer from the answer key to help explain my confusion a little more. Thanks!

Angela Patel 2J

Re: 2C.3

Postby Angela Patel 2J » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:19 pm

I think the diagram is just pointing out that you can make the Cl formal charge 0 when there are two double bonds with oxygen.

VPatankar_2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: 2C.3

Postby VPatankar_2L » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:52 am

I think the answer key is saying that all three are possible resonance structures since Chlorine is in the third row of the period table and has an expanded octet. Thus, in the first diagram chlorine can have eight electrons surrounding in, in the second diagram Chlorine can have 10 electron, and in the third diagram Chlorine can have 12 electrons. But ultimately, the last diagram is the best structure because it has the lowest formal charge.

Return to “Resonance Structures”