Delocalized Electrons

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Suraj Doshi 2G

Delocalized Electrons

Postby Suraj Doshi 2G » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:21 pm

Can someone explain what is meant by the idea that electrons in resonance structures are "delocalized"

Jainam Shah 4I

Re: Delocalized Electrons

Postby Jainam Shah 4I » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:25 pm

De localized electrons are basically electrons that aren't completely associated to one bond in a structure. The electrons, therefore, can be anywhere along the chemical bond. The evidence of these can be seen from resonance structures. When we have multiple resonance hybrids for a single structure we notice that the bond lengths do not match the predicted single and double bond lengths. Rather the bonds are an intermediate between the two predicted lengths. This occurs due to the delocalization of electrons which makes it so that each bond's attraction to other bonds due to electron sharing is the same. These electrons are spread over the structure and we cannot say that they are being shared by which bond rather they are shared by all.

Justin Seok 2A

Postby Justin Seok 2A » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:07 pm

From what I understand, resonance structures are less how the bonds are really like in real life but more the best representation of the idea of delocalized electrons within a bond/molecule. So instead of having different bond lengths between double and single bonds within the resonance structures, the bond lengths were found to be the same length, showing that electrons instead of having a fixed position per se could now be seen more as free to spread around the bonds, making them evener.

Subashni Rajiv 1K

Postby Subashni Rajiv 1K » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:58 pm

Delocalized electrons are electrons in a molecule, ion or solid metal that are not associated with an atom or covalent bond.

sarahsalama2E

Postby sarahsalama2E » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:39 pm

I think that electrons are not really stationary like we draw them in lewis structures, but rather they move around (meaning that they are delocalized). You can see this in resonance structures and resonance hybrid.

Return to “Resonance Structures”