Resonance structure

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Doris Cho 1D

Resonance structure

Postby Doris Cho 1D » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Can someone explain to me how to even get the resonance structure from a lewis structure? for example, NH4+, what is it supposed to look like?

Haley Dveirin 1E

Re: Resonance structure

Postby Haley Dveirin 1E » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Resonance structure just shows all the possible lewis structure for a molecule. NH4 does not have resonance.

Rebecca Remple 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:40 pm

Doris Cho 1D wrote:Can someone explain to me how to even get the resonance structure from a lewis structure? for example, NH4+, what is it supposed to look like?

Hi Doris,

I'm honestly not sure what NH4+'s resonance structures would look like, as Hydrogen has a +1 charge and cannot form any double/triple bonds.
However, resonance structures occur in other molecules with double/triple bonds. Double/triple bonds, as we learned in class, are distributed between all atoms in a molecule. Therefore, in the example of CO2, carbon can be double bonded to both oxygens, or triple bonded to one of them. When it's triple bonded to one oxygen, you can draw the triple bond on either the right or left O atom. Therefore, the two resonance structures for CO2 show the triple bond between different atoms. The double-bonded structure is also a possible resonance structure.
When drawing a Lewis structure, I'd recommend drawing all the valence electrons around each atom, then connecting electrons via bonds until each atom has a full octet. Note that atoms in period 3 and below can have an "expanded octet" and bond with more atoms even after their octet is full. There are plenty of practice problems in the textbook section 2C that I would highly recommend solving. I hope this helps! Good luck on the midterm.

-Rebecca

Michelle Xie 2B

Postby Michelle Xie 2B » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:00 pm

NH4 does not have resonance but some molecules that do are the nitrate and carbonate ions.

Debora Fernandez Clemente_ 4H

Postby Debora Fernandez Clemente_ 4H » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:47 am

how do you figure out how many resonance structures you should have for a compound?

Return to “Resonance Structures”