HW 2C.3

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hannah Lee 2F

HW 2C.3

Postby Hannah Lee 2F » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:50 pm

For part (a) of 2C.3, it asks: "Draw the Lewis structure, including typical contributions to the resonance structure (where appropriate, allow for the possibility of octet expansion, including double bonds in different positions), for (a) periodate ion."

Then for the resonance structures, would you need to include ALL of the possible structures before you reach the most stable one? I drew the structure with the 4 single bonds first, which gave iodine a FC of +3. Then I drew it with 2 single bonds and 2 double bonds, which gave iodine a FC of +1. Finally, I drew the most stable structure, which had 3 double bonds and gave iodine a FC of 0 — this stable structure also produced 4 more equivalent structures by adjusting the location of the double bonds.

Would all of the above structures count as resonance structures? Would you need to draw all of them on an exam, or just the most equivalent, most stable ones that contribute the most to the resonance hybrid?

Ixcel Guzman 4A

Re: HW 2C.3

Postby Ixcel Guzman 4A » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:33 pm

I remember Dr. Lavelle saying something about if the problem had resonance structures, then we could draw which ever structure we wanted and it would count. I would draw the most stable one though and show that there are more resonance structures. Hope this helps!

Return to “Resonance Structures”