Unequal Contribution

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tracy Tolentino_2E

Unequal Contribution

Postby Tracy Tolentino_2E » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:06 pm

How do you draw the resonance structure for a molecule or compound that don't contribute equally?

Robin Cadd 1D

Re: Unequal Contribution

Postby Robin Cadd 1D » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:04 am

Are you referring to unequal electron contribution? I'm pretty sure they're drawn like any other resonance structure.

VPatankar_2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby VPatankar_2L » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:25 am

If you are referring to ionic bonds then you just draw both atoms separately with their complete octet and place them next to each other, without bonds. The anion will pull electrons away from the cation.
If you are talking about resonance structures, the atom that is either double bonded or triple bonded to the central atom will contribute more electrons than the atom that is singly bonded to the central atom.

Jasmine 2C

Postby Jasmine 2C » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:21 pm

I don't think there's a specific way to draw resonance structures that don't contribute to the resonance hybrid equally. I think you just need to draw out all the possible resonance structures and specifically state which ones contribute more (the ones with lowest formal charges) and which ones don't (the ones not with lowest formal charges).
And the resonance hybrid structure would just look more like the ones that do contribute more.

Return to “Resonance Structures”