Formal Charges

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

remymink4J

Formal Charges

Postby remymink4J » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:54 pm

Are we ever going to have to find the total formal charge of a compound? Or just the individual formal charges of each bond?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Formal Charges

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Formal charge is assigned to each individual atom in a compound. The sum of all formal charges should equal the total charge of the compound.

chemgal4L

Postby chemgal4L » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:51 am

I'm a little bit confused as to how you determine which resonance structure is the most stable. Do you have to find the formal charge of each specific atom and see how they differ, or do you find the formal charge of the entire molecule and choose the one that's closest to zero? Or is that the same thing?

Melanie Maeda 3I

Postby Melanie Maeda 3I » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:42 pm

The most stable structure will have most if not all atoms at a formal charge of zero, if that helps, so it is a little bit of both of your ideas. But simply put, the most stable resonance structure will have the most atoms at a 0 for formal charge, because if you think of it in terms of a total, you could be dealing with +1s and -1s that cancel each other out and whatnot, so it is better to look at individual atoms in the structure.

Return to “Resonance Structures”