Delocalization of Electrons

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Neel Bonthala 2G

Delocalization of Electrons

Postby Neel Bonthala 2G » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:01 pm

So to my understanding, in resonance structures, electrons that form double bonds are delocalized because they exist in multiple locations (equivalent electron density). But does this mean electrons involved in single bonding and lone pairs are not delocalized? Or are they also equally shared among all atoms in the molecule?

DanielHong2L

Re: Delocalization of Electrons

Postby DanielHong2L » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:05 pm

Neel Bonthala 3E wrote:So to my understanding, in resonance structures, electrons that form double bonds are delocalized because they exist in multiple locations (equivalent electron density). But does this mean electrons involved in single bonding and lone pairs are not delocalized? Or are they also equally shared among all atoms in the molecule?

I'm pretty sure that the electrons within a system that are not resonant and have localized electrons.

Furthermore, localization has to do with the electrons being on the internuclear axis, not necessarily a set location I believe.

"Double bonds" electrons are off axis and are not on the internuclear axis, and hence is considered delocalized.

Hope this helps!

Ria Nawathe 1C
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Delocalization of Electrons

Postby Ria Nawathe 1C » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:06 pm

For non-resonance structures, electrons are localized.

Return to “Resonance Structures”