Faster way to do resonance structures?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Norah Gidanian 3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Faster way to do resonance structures?

Postby Norah Gidanian 3D » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:57 am

I was wondering if there was a faster way to do resonance structures. Maybe through a formula or maybe by looking at the numbers of each atom.

Arieanne De Guzman 2J
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Faster way to do resonance structures?

Postby Arieanne De Guzman 2J » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:28 am

I think more practice with lewis structures would be the best way to get faster at making resonance structures as a whole. The more you do, the more you'll start to see what bonds give the best formal charge, for example, oxygen with having a double bond to another atom gives a formal charge of zero. I also think doing more will allow you to see the behavior of atoms in compounds. For example, carbon likes to form 4 bonds and you'll get a formal charge of zero in that way. With that being said, one of the UAs taught us a faster way to calculate formal charge. Instead of the formula that is in the textbook, you could use FC = (# of atom's ve-) - (# of dots and lines). You'll realize that you'll get the same answer and it is less complicated (in my opinion)! Hope this helps!

Katie Phan 1K

Postby Katie Phan 1K » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:35 pm

To my knowledge, there isn't a trick or life hack that will make it faster to do resonance structures.

Sharon Kim 2A

Postby Sharon Kim 2A » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:48 pm

Usually, by looking at one structure you can recognize where certain bonds can be placed or replacing a lone pair to make a double bond. I think by practicing with many Lewis structures, overtime you'll just remember which structures have resonance. However, I wouldn't say there's a definite shortcut.

Return to “Resonance Structures”