Sapling Resonance Structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brianna Chen 3F

Sapling Resonance Structures

Postby Brianna Chen 3F » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:35 pm

When I was doing Sapling, I noticed that they included the "non-favorable" structure in the answer when they were explaining the resonance hybrid. I thought we first look for the most favorable structure and then if there is resonance, that is part of the resonance hybrid?

Truman Chong Dis 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Sapling Resonance Structures

Postby Truman Chong Dis 3G » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:42 pm

The "non-favorable" structures and favorable structures are both included in making the resonance hybrid since the hybrid is a representation of all structures in one with variable bond changes represented by dotted lines.

Isaac Wen
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Isaac Wen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:51 am

The favorable one will be the one lowest in energy and contributes the most to the resonance structure, but the other less-favorable arrangements do contribute as well (just not as much)!

Sabina House 2A
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Sabina House 2A » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:05 am

Another thing to note is that if a resonance structure is very unfavorable, it will contribute very little to the overall resonance hybrid, but it still contributes a very small amount because it is a possible resonance structure. The most favorable and lowest energy resonance structures contribute the most to the resonance hybrid since they are the most favorable, but all possible resonance structures have some contribution, even if very small.

Trevor_Ramsey_3H

Postby Trevor_Ramsey_3H » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi, I saw a video that describes picking the favorable resonance structure: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... DlWdsxYqws

This helped me out for homework and textbook problems.

Return to “Resonance Structures”