Dominant Contribution to Resonance Hybrid

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Charlene D 3H

Dominant Contribution to Resonance Hybrid

Postby Charlene D 3H » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 pm

I'm wondering what is means for a structure to be the dominant contributor to a resonance hybrid?
Why is it that the structure with the lowest energy / is most stable is the most likely to make a contribution?
This is from 2c.17 of the homework btw.
Thank you!

Melis Kasaba 2B

Re: Dominant Contribution to Resonance Hybrid

Postby Melis Kasaba 2B » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:18 am

A dominant contributor to a resonance hybrid is one that has the lowest energy. Some characteristics that make a structure favorable is having a lot of atoms with complete octets, covalent bonds, and few formal charges. Since structures with lower energy are more stable, that makes them a more favorable form for the molecule, so it will contribute more.

Jayden_Yamasaki_2J

Postby Jayden_Yamasaki_2J » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:37 pm

I'd also add that a formal charge of 0 is most stable, so structures that have atoms with a formal charge of 0 would be the most stable and contribute more to the overall structure.

Kandyce Lance 3E

Postby Kandyce Lance 3E » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:37 pm

Is it possible to have two different resonance structure that are equally "most beneficial"? For example moving the position of a double bond has the same exxfect for each position bc they dont affect formal charge? Just the position of the charges?

VanessaZhu2L

Postby VanessaZhu2L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:31 pm

Yes, I think when you are just changing where the double bond is in the structure, all the resonance structure contribute equally to the resonace hybrid

Return to “Resonance Structures”