Resonance Hyrbid

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jenaye Brelland 2I

Resonance Hyrbid

Postby Jenaye Brelland 2I » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:03 am

A Resonance hybrid energy is lower than the Lewis resonance structures right? It is more stable but it is delocalized making it lower in energy? I had someone tell me that hybrids are higher in energy...

Saumya Tawakley 1E

Re: Resonance Hyrbid

Postby Saumya Tawakley 1E » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:09 am

I believe that resonance hybrids are overall lower in energy than the individual resonance structures for the reasons you mentioned. It wouldn't make sense for hybrids to be higher in energy otherwise molecules in nature would never exhibit a resonance hybrid structure since that would be energetically unfavorable (they would rather just have normal resonance structures).

Lily Kiamanesh 2G

Postby Lily Kiamanesh 2G » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:13 am

Hi! I believe that resonance hybrids are lower in energy than individual resonance structures because that is the true electron distribution found in nature, so it is the most favorable form.

LeanneBagood_2F

Postby LeanneBagood_2F » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:06 pm

this is a bit of a dumb question but what exactly do we mean when we say something is delocalized? i've seen it in a couple of posts and im a bit confused as to what that exactly means

Tae Pasawat 2A

Postby Tae Pasawat 2A » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:10 pm

LeanneBagood_2E wrote:this is a bit of a dumb question but what exactly do we mean when we say something is delocalized? i've seen it in a couple of posts and im a bit confused as to what that exactly means

Hi the term delocalized is used to refer to an electrons activity! so if it is delocalized, it means that it is not stuck in a local position, it is free to move between a larger area. The electron is not bound and attracted to a single nucleus, it can move between an area of 2 nuclei for example. hence the term 'delocalized' meaning not local.

Tae Pasawat 2A

Postby Tae Pasawat 2A » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Jenaye Brelland 2L wrote:A Resonance hybrid energy is lower than the Lewis resonance structures right? It is more stable but it is delocalized making it lower in energy? I had someone tell me that hybrids are higher in energy...

Resonance structures have lower energy because they have a lower formal charge overall, making the molecule more stable.

Katie Lam 2J

Postby Katie Lam 2J » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:18 pm

LeanneBagood_2E wrote:this is a bit of a dumb question but what exactly do we mean when we say something is delocalized? i've seen it in a couple of posts and im a bit confused as to what that exactly means

Tae answered that perfectly! To add on, the reason why you can remove a pair of electrons from an atom and then draw a single line in between that atom and another atom to denote a bond is because the electrons are delocalized.

Arnav Saud 2C

Postby Arnav Saud 2C » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:08 pm

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the overall energy of resonance hybrids is lower because they are more stable.

Joshua Eidam 2A

Postby Joshua Eidam 2A » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:09 am

Yes I believe stability is the main factor for why hybridization takes place. Without hybridization taking place, I believe the overall energy level would be higher and the likelihood of there being instability increases.

Gicelle Rubin 1E

Postby Gicelle Rubin 1E » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:09 am

Tae Pasawat 2A wrote:

Hi the term delocalized is used to refer to an electrons activity! so if it is delocalized, it means that it is not stuck in a local position, it is free to move between a larger area. The electron is not bound and attracted to a single nucleus, it can move between an area of 2 nuclei for example. hence the term 'delocalized' meaning not local.

Thank you for answering! I was wondering the same thing myself.

Gigi Elizarraras 2C

Postby Gigi Elizarraras 2C » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:28 am

When we are talking about delocalization, we are talking about the electrons being free to roam and not stuck on just a specific molecule. So the electron can transfer easily:)

Hannah Lechtzin 1K

Postby Hannah Lechtzin 1K » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:57 am

As mentioned above, delocalized electrons are shared freely between the bonded atoms in a molecule. They are not bound to one small area, but instead move freely about a larger area. This is why experimentally determined bond lengths in atoms with both single and double bonds tend to be a length in between the experimentally determined length of a single or double bond.

Return to “Resonance Structures”