Resonance vs Resonance hybrid?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

andrea tarelo 3e

Resonance vs Resonance hybrid?

Postby andrea tarelo 3e » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:04 am

Hello everyone!
Dr. Lavelle mentioned resonance and resonance hybrid but I didn't understand what was the difference between the two? I understand that resonance is the blending of structures but I don't know if resonance hybrid has something to do with that as well or if it is different?

Sristi Palimar 2E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Resonance vs Resonance hybrid?

Postby Sristi Palimar 2E » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:15 am

Resonance occurs because some lewis structures have multiple bonds in different equivalent locations, however, the true structure of the atom exists as a blend of these possible lewis structures. Therefore, an atom can be said to have resonance, and that its real structure is a resonance hybrid.

Sujin Lim 1H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Sujin Lim 1H » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:21 am

To add on, the different Lewis structures that a molecule can have are called resonance structures, so essentially you would be taking the average of all those resonance structures to get the resonance hybrid!

Kayla Arellano 1K

Postby Kayla Arellano 1K » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:40 am

andrea tarelo 2b wrote:Hello everyone!
Dr. Lavelle mentioned resonance and resonance hybrid but I didn't understand what was the difference between the two? I understand that resonance is the blending of structures but I don't know if resonance hybrid has something to do with that as well or if it is different?

Resonance structures represent the different lewis structures with the same arrangement of atoms but different arrangement of electrons, whereas hybrid resonance represents the delocalized electrons and takes the average of the bond character of the resonance structures.

Allison Peng 1D

Postby Allison Peng 1D » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:07 pm

I believe a resonance hybrid structure is just a drawing of all the resonance structures together, such as benzene with the "ring" in the center to represent 3 delocalized electron pairs as opposed to the 2 separate resonance lewis diagrams.

Jaylin Hsu 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Jaylin Hsu 1C » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:18 am

Hi yes. So, to add to the answers already present, one way to identify resonance hybrids is by the dotted lines in their structures. These represent possible places where the bonds could exist in the different equivalent locations.

andrea tarelo 3e

Postby andrea tarelo 3e » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:13 am

Oh that makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much everyone!

Return to “Resonance Structures”