delocalized are more stable?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

andrea tarelo 3e

delocalized are more stable?

Postby andrea tarelo 3e » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:07 am

Hello everyone!
I kind of understand what delocalized electrons are but I don't understand why they are more stable than localized electrons?
Thank you so much!

Carina H - 2G

Re: delocalized are more stable?

Postby Carina H - 2G » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:10 am

Hi!

They are more stable because they are in a lower energy state. This is because the average of all the resonance structures makes up the structure of whatever the compound is.

Sristi Palimar 2E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Sristi Palimar 2E » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:11 am

I was also unsure about this! I found this explanation online that was helpful in my understanding:

"Charge delocalization is a stabilizing force because it spreads energy over a larger area rather than keeping it confined to a small area. Since electrons are charges, the presence of delocalized electrons brings extra stability to a system compared to a similar system where electrons are localized."

I think this can also be explained by electron-electron repulsion; having delocalized electrons creates less repulsion than having concentrated electrons, rendering the atom more stable.

Emily Quill 2H

Postby Emily Quill 2H » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:52 am

Hi! Delocalized electrons mean that the charge is more spread over a larger space, meaning that the energy is lower and the molecule is more stable.

Joelle Tran 1K

Postby Joelle Tran 1K » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:45 pm

Yes!

Professor stated in his lecture last Friday on resonance structures that the delocalized electrons accounted for by the structures, which have the same arrangement of atoms but different arrangement of electrons, spread multiple bond characters over a molecule and therefore lowers its overall energy. Therefore, the delocalization makes the compound more stable.

Kassidy Patron 1L

Postby Kassidy Patron 1L » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:52 pm

Hi! You can imagine that these electrons don't have to follow a specific arrangement/structure. Instead of strictly following one form/arrangement of electrons, it's a general density concentration where electrons aren't just stuck next to each other. This is more favorable and stable because it's more spread out. In other words, because the electrons don't have to follow one singular set arrangement and it's more general, the electrons are more stable. There are less strict guidelines on where the electrons should be located.

andrea tarelo 3e

Postby andrea tarelo 3e » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:19 am

Oh okay! Thats makes a lot of sense! So pretty much it's because they are a lot less stuck and are able to move around more easily?

Carlie_Dorostkar_1A

Postby Carlie_Dorostkar_1A » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:36 pm

The charge of the compound is spread out and it will be more likely to not be attractive to charges of other compounds and not make bonds. It is stable in its own state.

Chris Korban 1D

Postby Chris Korban 1D » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:43 pm

delocalized electrons are just electrons that are being shared across the whole complex so its better handled by the whole compound

Harshitha_Pandian_3F

Postby Harshitha_Pandian_3F » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:51 pm

The reason why delocalized is more stable is because you are spreading the electron cloud over the whole complex rather than just in a specific part of the molecule. By doing so you do not one localized area that is full of e-s but rather have them all spread out.

Postby 305805394 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:58 pm

Hi,

I think delocalized electrons indicating the lower energy state of the molecules.

To be more specific, delocalized electrons are ofter existed in the resonance structures of a same structure. With the greater flexibility to spread and disseminate the electrons at different places of a molecule, the overall complex consists of uncountable molecules would be stable under a macroscopic view, therefore possesses a lower potential energy(higher chemical energy).

Hope this could address your concerns.

JafarriNocentelli 1G

Postby JafarriNocentelli 1G » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:52 am

yes because they are electrons that are being technically shared by the entire compound at a lower energy state, thus more stable

Return to “Resonance Structures”