HW 3.57  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Maya Khoury

HW 3.57

Postby Maya Khoury » Sat May 19, 2018 3:57 pm

We did this problem in my section, and my TA said the most electronegative would have the negative charge, and I just wanted to clarify this concept.
so for perchlorate ion ClO₄- if you calculated Cl to have a negative charge you would know that is wrong because Oxygen is more electronegative correct?

Nicole Shak 1L

Re: HW 3.57  [ENDORSED]

Postby Nicole Shak 1L » Sat May 19, 2018 5:25 pm

Is it the most or least electronegative atom that has the negative charge? I had written down the least electronegative atom in my discussion, but now I'm confused since this problem has O with a -1 formal charge and the previous problem on that worksheet [S3N3]- said that S having the -1 charge is more stable (even though it's less electronegative).

Maya Khoury

Re: HW 3.57

Postby Maya Khoury » Sun May 27, 2018 9:41 pm

the most electronegative element is going to have the negative charge. I found this online: The more electronegative atom has a partial negative charge, d-, because the electrons spend more time closer to that atom, while the less electronegative atom has a partial positive charge, d+, because the electrons are partly (but not completely) pulled away from that atom

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”