Chlorine in center: electronegativity vs. formal charge

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Anisha Chandra 1K

Chlorine in center: electronegativity vs. formal charge

Postby Anisha Chandra 1K » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:58 am

What if the central atom is the most electronegative atom? (Ex. chlorine in the center in ClO4-) Would you want chlorine to be 0 or more negative than the oxygens since chlorine is more electronegative?

What would the correct structure be for Cl04-? I've seen two different answers - one with 3 double bonds with oxygens and one single, placing negative FC on oxygen but also one with 4 double blonds, placing negative FC on central chlorine atom

Brian_Ho_2B

Re: Chlorine in center: electronegativity vs. formal charge

Postby Brian_Ho_2B » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:56 am

Anisha Chandra 4H wrote:What if the central atom is the most electronegative atom? (Ex. chlorine in the center in ClO4-) Would you want chlorine to be 0 or more negative than the oxygens since chlorine is more electronegative?

What would the correct structure be for Cl04-? I've seen two different answers - one with 3 double bonds with oxygens and one single, placing negative FC on oxygen but also one with 4 double blonds, placing negative FC on central chlorine atom

You want the central atom to have zero formal charge and if there's any negative formal charges, you want to delocalize them to the atoms surrounding the center atom. The structure of ClO4- with the 3 double bonds and 1 single bond on Cl with negative FC on the oxygen atoms is more stable because the center atom's FC is zero and the negative charge is delocalized.

VPatankar_2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby VPatankar_2L » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:22 am

Also since Oxygen is more electronegative that Chlorine, it can carry the -1 charge.

Angela Patel 2J

Postby Angela Patel 2J » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 am

VPatankar_3L wrote:Also since Oxygen is more electronegative that Chlorine, it can carry the -1 charge.

Is oxygen more electronegative than chlorine? I thought it was the other way around?

VPatankar_2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby VPatankar_2L » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:29 am

I think it has to do with the fact that Chlorine's atomic radius is larger than that of Oxygen, so Oxygen's outermost electrons are held more tightly to the nucleus than Chlorine's outermost electrons. Also, the change in electronegativity is greater as you move up or down a group, than if you move across a period.

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”